The list no one told us about:
- Paper Plates, who has time for dishes
- Coffee and filters, who can get a normal amount of sleep with a newborn
- Cool temp swaddles (muslin works great). Why cool? Because you house is heated and cooled. These are great for sleeping in the first few weeks, and won't overheat the baby. Figure a wrap, plus a shirt and hat.
- Plain infant t-shirts, like the hospital uses, with the hand muffs. These are the easiest to use with swaddling and diaper changes and feeding. A ton of these will fit in one laundry load, and they are not too thick
- Medications for mom, short list (laxative, stool softener, Motrin, Sudafed if bottle feeding along with a large ace bandage, and a head of cabbage)
- A case of bottled water. I left this upstairs where mom & baby stayed most of the time the first few days. While healing from surgery, this was one less thing to run up and down stairs.
- Plenty of infant clothes
- Formula, we had both Enfamil and Similac
- Moisture pads, early on we've had a lot of leaking diapers.
- Baby wipes, a case works well to start
- Laundry detergent, we're using Dreft or the generic equivalent
- Meals in the freezer
These are the items I can think of that have been critical in the first 2 days back from the hospital with the little guy. I'm sure I'll add to these as time goes on.